Sunday, January 11, 2009

Chen Family Temple

Whenever we meet our group for an outing, we meet on the first floor by the 'red couches'. It's a group meeting spot with an exit to the buses and is usually crowded with families like ours all heading out to an official visit or sightseeing adventure.

Here's pictures of the girls playing while we wait for our group to gather. We are a small group -- just two families and our guide, Helen.




Yesterday we went to the Chen Family Temple. Here you can see traditional Chinese art and artists at work -- ranging from painting on scrolls to carving chops and bone jewelry to embroidery. It was a beautiful place... and so interesting to see all the various art forms and artists at work.



Conveniently, you are able to purchase some of these treasures too! :) The Chinese are masters at retail and impulse purchasing. Here's a funny story... I ordered a chop made with Emma's Chinese name (Qian Qiao Qing) carved on it. I placed the order and when I came back to pick it up, our guide, Helen, came with me. She and the artist talked as he got up to put my chop in a pretty box with the special red ink they were able to sell me as an add on... and he said something in Chinese and walked away. I told Helen, I don't need a bag... and she looked at me bewildered and asked, "You understand Chinese?" and I said, "No, but I understand retail." She laughed. The world really isn't all that different.
Our day out was followed by another wonderful dinner -- all ordered by Helen and all scrumptious. We eat good around here... and cheap. 120 yuan for our family of 4... that's less than $20 US.

No comments: